Chapped or dried lips may occur due to a change in weather conditions, excessive licking of lips, allergic reaction to any medicine or cosmetic, dehydration, and smoking. Here are certain natural home remedies to help minimize redness, flaking, dryness, and soreness of the lips.
How to get rid of chapped lips at home using natural remedies
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, thus being effective in relieving the dry patches on your lips, especially if caused due to dry or cold weather conditions.
- Apply few drops of coconut oil (preferably warm) on your lips with your fingers or a cotton swab several times a day to keep them moist. (You can alternatively use mustard, olive, or jojoba oil)
- If you are finding it difficult to put coconut oil on your toddler’s lips, an alternative can be to apply a few drops of it into his navel and leave it overnight. It acts as a greasing agent, reaching the entire body, also moisturizing the lips. (You can replace coconut oil with olive, mustard or almond oil)
- As rose hip is considered to be an effective anti-aging essential oil due to its ability to increase elastin and collagen, you can add about two drops of it to a teaspoon of coconut or olive oil to get soft, pink lips.
- Mix two drops of lavender oil with a teaspoon of any carrier oil like jojoba, olive, and sunflower to get relief from dry, peeled lips.
The trace minerals present in sea salt helps in soothing and healing inflamed lips as well as removing the dead cells of the skin, thus making it one of the easy home remedies for chapped lips.
- Make a mixture by dissolving two tablespoons of sea salt in one glass of warm water. Dab it on your lips using a washcloth or cotton balls to get respite from the burning. (You can mix sea salt with one teaspoon of coconut oil)
Besides being an excellent moisturizer, honey has healing and anti-bacterial properties that make it one of the best home remedies to get rid of dry, wrinkled lips.
- Take a little honey on your fingertip and massage your lips with it many times a day.
- A mixture of honey and glycerin can be applied to your lips overnight and rinsed in the morning to heal the chapped skin around lips.
- Apply some honey on your lips, put a coat of vaseline on it after it dries, allow it to sit for about fifteen minutes and remove it using a Q-tip or cotton swab.
The natural oils present in rose petals help in locking the moisture of the skin, making it one of the effective ways to get rid of cracked lips fast.
- Prepare a paste by taking about ten rose petals, soak them in milk for about two to three hours, and mash them well. Apply it on your cracked lips, and wash it off after about ten minutes.
- If you are allergic to dairy products, mash the rose petals with two tablespoons of honey after soaking them in two tablespoon water for 2-3 hours. Keep the paste on your lips for approximately fifteen minutes before washing it off.
- You can also use rose water (one teaspoon) instead of the petals with honey (one teaspoon), which may also be a beneficial home remedy if you have dark lips.
Acting as an exfoliant agent, sugar helps in removing the dry and dead cells of the skin, thus being one of the best ways to heal chapped lips overnight.
- Make a lip scrub by mixing half teaspoon of sugar with two drops of olive oil and apply it gently on your lips for approximately five minutes. Rinse with cold water, wipe your lips well with a clean cloth and opt for a good lip balm to get a soothing and shiny effect.
Note: Following the same procedure, you can make a scrub with sugar (two teaspoons) and honey (one teaspoon).
The anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and hygroscopic properties of this natural moisturizer make it perhaps the best cure for chapped lips, helping in alleviating pain, getting rid of the burning sensation and retaining moisture. You can apply this remedy on a regular basis if you have chronic chapped lips.
- Squeeze out the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf and massage it on the cracked corners of your lips for fifteen minutes to yield fruitful results. It is a good remedy for swollen chapped lips and even cold sores.
- Prepare a lip balm by mixing half a teaspoon of coconut oil and some drops of Vitamin E oil to a teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
Green tea bag
- Take a used green tea bag and press it against your lips for about five minutes to increase the moisture content.
Cucumber for chapped lips (during pregnancy)
Cucumber being a good succulent helps in moisturizing the lips, while its rich Vitamin C content facilitates the healing process, thus making it one of the best ways to get rid of chapped lips during pregnancy.
- Rub a slice of fresh cucumber over your lips and leave it for fifteen to twenty minutes so that the juice gets absorbed.
- You can even extract the juice of cucumber and massage it gently on your lips.
How to fix severely chapped and dried lips with natural treatment
- Massage about two drops of castor oil on your peeled or cracked lips till they get well moisturized.
- Prepare a mixture by adding castor and glycerin in the measurement of a teaspoon along with some drops of lemon juice. Apply it on your lips at night and rinse it well in the morning.
Containing an increased amount of fat, milk cream acts as a great moisturizer for extremely chapped lips.
- Massage milk cream on your lips for ten to fifteen minutes and wash off with a cotton ball. Do this on a regular basis.
- Prepare a mixture of a teaspoon of milk cream and three drops of lemon juice, refrigerate it for an hour and apply it to your lips, preferably before bedtime.
What to do for newborn chapped lips
- You may apply little breast milk on your baby’s lips as its anti-bacterial properties help in healing the skin.
- Coconut oil can be an alternative as it contains lauric acid, also found in breast milk.
Heal chapped lips using simple remedies
- The fastest way to get rid of chapped lips is by applying a petroleum jelly, like vaseline, that helps in speeding the healing process by penetrating into the skin and rehydrating the lips. Chapsticks or lip balms can also be made at home using beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil and essential oil.
- Rubbing your lips gently with a toothbrush smeared with a lip balm is another way to treat extremely chapped lips at home. This may help in moisturizing your lips as well as removing the dead skin cells.
- You can also put mango butter for chapped lips as it provides a soothing effect because of its high fatty acid content. Dabbing it on your lips on a regular basis and washing it off after it has dried would give you relief from the painful cracks in your lip.
- One of the best things for cracked lips during winters is to place a humidifier in your room so that your lips does not dry up.
Over-the-counter ointments for dry chapped lips
Certain over-the-counter ointments like Carmex, Aquaphor, Lanolin, and Neosporin or medicated lip balms like Chap Ice are considered to be good to cure dried, red chapped lips fast.
How to prevent chapped lips
- Apply sunscreen on your lips during summer especially while going out.
- Drink a lot of water as dehydration may be one of the reasons for your lips to be always chapped.
- Maintain a healthy diet comprising of vegetables and fruits rich in Vitamin A as it helps in repairing your skin tissues. Avoid spicy food and citrus fruits if your lips are already chapped as this may aggravate the pain and inflammation further, also increasing the dryness.
- Cover your face and lips properly with a scarf during cold, windy winters.
- Avoid licking your lips because when you are doing so, they get wet, but when the saliva evaporates, the moisture also goes away, the lips may turn dark and be cracked.
- Go for moisturizer based lipsticks.
- Keep your lips moisturized if you have a cold and congested nose because breathing through your mouth causes more air to pass through your lips, making them drier.
Even after applying these remedies if your chapped lips won’t heal, then consider getting medical assistance.